Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tomato Berries

Today was our last day in my Sustainable Food Issues class. It has definitely been an interesting class that has opened up my eyes to my ignorance towards food production, distribution and the sustainability of such processes already in place. I definitely have figured out that when it comes to food, I go against the grain of what has become entrenched in the food system of America.

When I have the money, I will start purchasing shares in a CSA. Organic. Local grown. I want to establish my own garden. Next year I'm going to have my dad teach me how he buys calves and baby pigs, raises them, slaughter, etc. I don't trust the global food market. Not like I ever did as I've always had my own grass-fed/cold corn fed combo, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, free-range, never slaughtered before 1 1/2 year beef and pork that came from our own place.

Anywho, sustainable food is a rant for another day. A woman named Ruth came in today to talk to us about how she plays her part in sustainability. In the middle of Fort Collins, in her tiny lot, she grows a garden that sustains them from April to October. She works with other local farms in which she also gets fruit and vegetables that she doesn't have room to grow. She's really big on native plants and flowers. Just all around awesome, peppy, environmentally-in tune lady.

She had these tomato berries today that we tried. Just little tiny tomato berries!! Crazy!! Native plant that produces tiny delicious tomato berries that have more flavor than most full tomatoes :) It was nuts but insanely exciting.

We found our kitty Tink. She is now safely back home, safe and sound, smaller than before. But ever more of an attention whore after going 3+ weeks without some lovin and food. She basically lived on my lap this morning while I was getting ready. Snuggled up, made her spot, also claimed my bed last night. She followed me into the shower, out of the shower, all around. It's good to have her home!

Anywho, swimming again tonight!! Looking forward to it. Brian might join Kelly and I :) Still really getting to know each other. I like it! No idea where he stands on things still but that's ok. I'm having fun just being interested in a new guy. It's new, exciting, fun, flirty.

Alright, getting back to work!!

No comments: