Thursday, July 24, 2008

The value of real friendship

It never has and never will cease to amaze me the way God has a magnificent plan for our lives that we can't even imagine. He has doors and windows of opportunities to guide us through. He takes people in and out of our lives at just the right time to teach and to mold us, to give us strength, to give us exactly what we need.

This last year has been trying and hard. I have gone through so many ups but so many dreadful downs. Everything from family feuding, relationship problems, scholastic troubles to massive roommate problems. This year has been one of trying and hardship. But also a huge lesson to continue to remind me to lean on God. It took me awhile. I kept thinking there's no way the Lord has time for me, that my thoughts/feelings/hardships were stupid and petty. I felt as though I was responsible for my own life and had to clean up my own act. I've been working through many self-issues, none of them easy to deal with. I've been told so many negative things about myself in so many ways that I had to mentally combat that. I have struggled with questioning God why he made me the way I am if everyone around me thought I was such a horrible person, a bad friend. Why would God make me that way to only have others hate me?! I've had to work through those questions. I've had to work through combatting negativity all around me when all I needed was a desperate word of encouragement from family or friends or even a strong hug to remind me that I'm not alone.

I have struggled with knowing that my absolute best friend I will never hug, I will never touch physically. I can't walk up to God and fall into his arms literally. I can figuratively but not literally and being human sometimes all I have needed was that.

But it's amazing how He teaches us and just as we start to understand and get it right, He blesses us in incredible ways!! I have an amazing financial opportunity that though I have to work hard at, could one day allow me the freedom to focus on the giving and charity I long to do. No longer have to worry about paying for rent....but instead have more than enough to give to those around me! How awesome would that be.

He has brought a peace back into my heart and mind to help me combat Satan and my own corrupt mind on bad days when all I want to do is think down upon myself or others.

He has also brought some amazing people into my life. I have a group of strong, genuine, God-fearing, encouraging faithful women that not only will help me with this business but that I am establishing wonderful relationships with!! How incredible to be able to pick up the phone and hear words of encouragement and praises of God flowing both ways across the phone or to simply receive a humongous hug everytime I see them. Or better yet, women that I can pray with.

The value of a real friend is completely irreplacable as I have learned these past few months. Those that I thought were friends backstabbed and turned against me. Using my own God in a sword of anger and deceit. Blaming me for things I had not done. That is not a true friend. But yet here I have genuine friends who I just met. Who will tell me like it is, bolster me up in my faith and encourage me every day if I need it. And vice versa.

It can't be replaced.

I'm also so grateful for my relationship with Scott. If for nothing else, the friendship I have with him. We started off as friends before and he is truly one of my best friends. I had so many anxieties with him coming home; would be truly be able to make it, can I do a relationship that's not long distance? Will our troubles continue to grow as he comes home or will we actually be able to grow together instead of apart? Amazingly enough, the fighting, the arguing and the tension has stopped since we have been together. Being able to have a conversation face-to-face, those important conversations and even every-day conversations when I can actually see his face, his expressions, read his eyes....those have played a huge part in our relationship mending instead of destructing. We've had some troubles but we've gotten through them. And it's cool to be able to walk out at the end of the day holding the hand of my best friend.

The value of a real friendship is irreplacable. God is teaching me that....and He's blessing me along the way as I learn these simple, basic yet important aspects of life.

No man is an island, we can't make it alone. We need to have others around us, ask for help. But in turn we must also give love, support, guidance and help to others.

I'll leave you with a verse I read today while I was eating dinner that jumped out of the page at me.

Isaiah 7:9 "......If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all."

And it's true, if we don't stand true in our faith to the world, eventually we won't stand at all.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Nica, you are such a joy in my life :) I'm glad I still get to read about your life even though we moved from sleeping next to each other to thousands of miles away!! I'm very proud of you and the beautiful Godly woman you're becoming. It's also fun to see your and Scotty's relationship blooming and stretching and growing :) It's amazing how hard just standing is sometimes, isn't it? I mean God doesn't call us to run, or even walk, just to stand before Him. Simply beautiful, like YOU! Love you, lady