Sunday, July 06, 2008

4th of July - Bringing My Marine Home

This fourth of July marked a special occasion - Scott's terminal leave from active duty enlistment!! Our mark of celebration?! Spending a couple days in a car driving from San Diego, Cali to Colorful Colorado :)

I flew out on Thursday and we spent the night in San Diego. Then first thing Friday morning on the 4th, we headed out and headed to Kingman Arizona where we spent the afternoon with his Uncle Pete, Aunt Bonnie and his cousin (who has Down Syndrome) Jeff. It was good....fresh-grilled steaks, asparagus, baked potatoes and fresh salad...yum!!

Then we spent Saturday, continuing on, stopping at the Hoover Dam for a few photos and because I had never been there. Scott and I being the history buffs had some fun. He was explaining to me a bunch of stuff he learned on the history channel. Especially things having to do with the architecture of the structure since that is his passion. We stopped in Green River for the night. That was an interestingly small town that was a bit overpriced being in the middle of nowhere....which is also the reason why it IS so overpriced; absolutely no competition for hundreds of miles around.

This morning we got up at the butt-crack of dawn and left. I slept a significant portion of the first couple hours. Colorado is hands down the most beautiful state. Absolutely. We stopped in Idaho Springs so I could treat Scotty to the original Beau Jo's....the best pizza place in the continental US :)

All in all we made it home ok. It's weird yet good to have him home. It will take some adjustment and some work to be in a relationship in which the amount of time we spend together equals more than an average of one day a month (what it has been since we started dating almost two years ago). We enjoyed some beautiful scenery, some good comedy on XM radio, and a few laughs along the way. Hopefully next time we'll be able to take more time and enjoy a real roadtrip.

On a brighter night, we celebrate our two-year anniversary in 17 days!! I will admit I have absolutely nothing planned. I don't think either one of us has too much money and the emphasis has been on him coming home. So I guess that is enough for me for our anniversary. The only time he'll have to leave again is if he gets called back from reserve duty to serve in Iraq.

Alright, I'm out for the night. Off to finish laundry and watch more of the U.S. Olympic Pre-Trials :) WOOT WOOT to Olympic swimming!!! My all-time fav!!

No comments: