Thursday, January 20, 2011

Good Reads

So I thought I would make a little list of my recent reads that I would recommend to others to read.

I love reading and I love a great story...however, I don't spend as much time reading anymore but when I DO read a book and I like it, I totally will share it with everyone else.

Right now I'm on this Jodi Picoult kick...her books are really good. She has a unique way of writing where she bumps back and forth from the perspective of all the important characters so you get to really get in the head and get to know each character that is important to the novel. As well, her novels offer moral dilemmas that make you think. In each of her books, the ending always astounds you and sometimes the ending isn't even really a full ending - sometimes you are left with lots of questions. But in her stories before you read it, if someone were to ask you the question "What would you do if (insert moral dilemma situation)?" you think you can answer with a cut and dry response. Her books then hit you with the morality and humanness of the said situation and they make you think. You become part of the story and you can't answer so easy. As the story goes on you start to relate to each character and see all sides of the dilemma.

Anywho here are a couple of those stories I LOVED and would recommend:

*My Sister's Keeper - I don't care if you have seen the movie, but ESPECIALLY if you've seen the movie you HAVE to read the book!! The reason: the book is SOOO much different than the movie. This is one of those movies I REALLY wanted to slap Hollywood for making a movie. Seriously Hollywood completely changed the story and kept the title...and they didn't tell the story the way it happened AND they left out a crucial character and storyline. Ugh. Please read it. The book is great!!

*House Rules - If you have ever known someone with autism, or more specifically someone with Asperger's, this book is hilarious. The plot of the story isn't funny but getting to watch this author so wonderously and accurately get in the head of an autistic kid was amazing but she did it SO well that I was envisioning my kiddos. It made me laugh as it reminded me so much of a couple of my kiddos and their own little autistic tendencies!


There is another story by an author named Kristin Hannah called Firefly Lane that encompassed a lifelong friendship between two girls who became best friends in middle school and never looked back. It goes from their childhood to their dreams and how their friendship falls apart but the sister-like bond that these two women have. I literally cried the whole last part of the book (yes I'm a chick....which funny enough I wrote a post about this book making me realize how much of a chick I am because it made me cry) and it was an amazing read. I totally recommend it!!

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is an amazing "cultural" read that I would recommend to anyone. I don't even want to try to explain it...just pick it up and read it!!


Right now I'm working on getting started reading The Shack and then I'm going to read Memoirs of a Geisha. As a slow guilty pleasure read I'm also reading The Tattoo Chronicles by Kat Von D (which is basically her journal turned into a book) and I read an entry from that from time-to-time.

Man on man, too many good reads, so little time....

No comments: