Sunday, October 31, 2010

Brother's Wedding Weekend

This weekend my closest brother in age got married to his sweetheart Jennifer.

It was a bittersweet weekend for me.

From the time he was born, Marshall was my little buddy in crime. He knows parts of my life and childhood that no one else will know. Collectively, him and Kevan understand me on a level no one else will ever get or understand. We share memories that no one else will ever know, we share pains, laughs, secrets, and inside jokes.

None of us would have ever imagined that Marshall would be the first one to get married, even a year ago. But that day came and went yesterday. He took Jennifer Clark to be his wife, companion, friend, and lover for the rest of his life.

Being the only girl, it has been really hard for me to adjust to another female being in the family. And even harder as I have always been quite protective of my brothers in terms of their girlfriends. Yesterday, I had to permanently give up my spot in Marshall's life to Jenni. I was the girl in his life for so long and on some levels, it has been very hard for me to give that up.

I was the first bridesmaid to walk down the aisle. My brother stood waiting for the processional and his bride-to-be to join him and my father stood just above him, waiting to welcome everyone to the wedding and give his blessing for the marriage to continue. It made me start bawling about halfway down the aisle, as I couldn't keep my tears back. It was reality. My little brother is all grown up, getting married, and Jenni will be the first girl in his life for the rest of his life.

I am very happy that he has found that. I thank the Lord for that blessing, especially given his past relationships. But on the other hand, I wasn't quite ready for what all was coming with that.

This weekend was a weekend to celebrate and I wish my brother all the blessings in the world, all the joys and love and grace that the Lord can pour out upon their marriage. And I hope that the Lord keeps them firmly under His wing as a couple through all the trials and all the blessings that life brings them.






No comments: