Friday, February 03, 2012

Weeding out Happiness

One of my schroomies and I were talking about simplicity. Life is complexly simple a great majority of the time. And I think, especially as Americans, we have a tendency to emphasize the complexity instead of the simplicity.

I realize that on one hand, my life can't and won't be "simple" for a little while. But that doesn't mean I can't weed out the boldly complex.

One of the things that I value in life is happiness. And enjoyment. I think when we keep continually adding stuff into our lives, happiness can be weighed down. There's a lot to be said about simplicity.

I have been watching a documentary the past hour entitled "Enlighten Up!" Basically it's about a new yogi and his quest for understanding yoga and all that comes with it. He has a hard time grasping the "formation" that yogis always talk about and the spirituality that comes with yoga. He is visiting a yoga guru in India who is explaining to him what yoga really means. You see in India, yoga isn't about the physical aspect that we associate it here in the west. It's about connecting with God or if you don't believe in God, your true self. The guru at one point mentions that we need to strip our lives of the outerness that makes us unhappy.

I'm sensing a little bit of a theme.

One of my goals this next year is to start simplifying my life. Getting rid of the possessions and things I own that don't make me happy or don't mean anything to me. I want to start simplifying my life. I started by simplifying down my closet at home. Now I need to start simplifying everything else.

Hopefully as the year goes on, I will continue to update about this journey. Let's see what this adventure will bring....

No comments: