Saturday, February 11, 2012

Spring 5W1 Complete!!

The accelerated program is split up like this: 3 15-week intervals. Within each interval, it is split up into 3 5-week intervals. Hence we have a spring, summer and fall interval. Within each interval we have a 5W1, 5W2, 5W3. I'm happy to report Spring 5W1 is complete!! And yes that means I have successfully finished 1 class while 2 others are currently in progress (I'll finish those in 3 weeks) and am getting read to switch over to another class.

The first class: Health Assessment. Where we learn how to professional inspect, grope, and violate others ;-) Actually it's really not that bad but surely you can't be too shy to be a nurse. When daily conversations revolve around bowel and urination...

and we are eager to get our patients naked (HA jk) to inspect and palpate them, shyness can't really be too incredibly strong in any of us. In fact, our 3rd day of class we had to strip down to our bras and shorts in order to do skin assessments!! Health Assessment was in fact a fun class though, learning fun things such as how to listen to heart and lungs, what skin "normalities" should be, and hence what "abnormal" would be. We got to look at, grope, at slightly laugh at each other. And all in all, the superficialness of the world is stripped away and the support of each other really came out. You can never have true support until all 50 people have seen you walk around in class in your bra, until you've groped your professor, and until your professor has groped you. Talk about patient empathy!! But alas I got an A in the class!!
 Pharmacology is coming along...mostly well. I spend most of my time very lost in that class but luckily have some great classmates who help me figure out what's going on. However, most of the time I find myself writing random shit on my notes like this one! The professor referred to a dingo and in popped this quote...totally had to send it to a friend!!
 And of course, coffee is absolutely necessary. I am now getting up early enough every morning to shower, make coffee (in a normal coffee pot nonetheless, no more Keurig...), make myself breakfast (gasp!) and get in some studying...all before leaving for class at 7:45am. Who would have thunk I'd become so productive!! However, I am the oldest 24yo I know. I go to bed no later than 10pm every night. I know, I know. I just can't handle it!! A glass of wine almost every night is also usually a necessity!!
Other than that, I'm living the high life! I really don't know what I mean by that. Life is nothing but school. But one class down, wahoo!!

Foundations is the next class. It's where we learn patient bedside care, which is basically what I do every single day at work anyway. But then later on we also get to learn IV's, catheter's, and NG tubes. All the fun stuff :-)

Here we go for another crazy five weeks!! Only ten more weeks until our first break...giddyup!

No comments: