Friday, April 22, 2011

Graveyard

In orienting into my new job, I have currently been assigned to working the night shifts. From 7:00pm (aka 1930) to 7:30am (aka 0730) I have been assigned to work on 7A at Denver Health.

First it's been just a wee bit tough adjusting to continuous 12-hour shifts. Sure I'm used to work ALL day long, but in a different way. Working in one spot for 12.5 hours with only a half hour lunch is a bit different. Especially when I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing! Now put them together back-to-back and that is a bit exhausting. For four days my life revolves around this cycle sleep-work-sleep-work-sleep-work-sleep-work. And now I'm having to completely flip my natural circadian rhythm. Working nights (which actually isn't near as hard as I thought) and doing 12-hour shifts back-to-back.

So I have quickly found that putting that all together has left me exhausted!

So my life has come down to working in a ghostly hospital at night, not sure of what I'm doing, and sipping on things containing caffeine to keep me going. Basically these highlights of my lunch have become essentials...


Welp I guess a little sacrifice on the road to bigger dreams right?! Besides getting the opportunity to watch the sun rise over the city from the windows of the 7th floor of a hospital can be breathtaking :-)

No comments: