Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Jewelry Holder and Picture/Memo Board

A few more projects that I was able to finish:

The first one was a couple of picture/memo boards that I made after finding the idea/tutorial here at Shanty-2-Chic. Really easy and really simple to make :-) I actually made two of them, one for my sister-in-law and one for a co-worker.

 This is the one I made for my sister-in-law. She loves the brilliant colors (too bad the clip ended up covering the peacock face...)
Both finished products.
Another view....one thing I wish I would have done is distressed them a bit more...I figured that they will probably get distressed enough on their own but I should have sanded them down a wee bit.


The next project that I did was to make a jewelry holder for the same sister-in-law. There is no tutorial for this one (and unfortunately I didn't take pictures as I went). However it was really simple. 
Here's what you need:
-an old picture frame (hello thrift stores!) 
-cup hooks
-chicken wire mesh
-staple gun
-small pieces of cloth (optional)

I tried to duplicate the crackle finish from Shanty-2-Chic. The crackle did not work too well, at least not what you can see in the pictures, but if you see it in person up close you can see some. I just think I didn't do it right. 

Once that was finished I cut out the appropriate size of the chicken mesh and then stapled it to the frame. Lastly I painted and screwed in the cup hooks around the frame to provide a way to hang necklaces and other jewelry. (Earrings are hung on the chicken mesh). I rooted a few holes with a drill bit and then simply screwed the cup hooks into the holes. Easy peasy! 

Here's the finished product. 









Sneak peak of my next project:

No comments: